Car Shipping To Australia
Shipping Your Car to Australia? Car Shipping to Australia from the UAE starts at a cost of $2,395 USD with an estimated turnaround time of 30 days, depending on the make and model of the vehicle and whether the origin in the UAE. Below, our 2022 guide to shipping cars will explore everything you need to know about shipping cars to Australia.
- Car Shipping to Australia Checklist
- Australia Vehicle Import Approval
- Car Shipping to Australia Costs & Time Frame
- Car Shipping to Australia Options
- Additional Services
- Ports Served in the UAE and Australia
- Cleaning Your Car of Biosecurity Concerns
- Plating Your Car in Australia
- Other Australia/UAE Shipping Options
Car Shipping to Australia Checklist
Here’s a rough guide breaking down the process you’ll need to go through to ship your car to Australia.
- Set up a ROVER account to determine your vehicle’s eligibility for import to Australia under the Australia Department of Infrastructure and Regional Development’s vehicle import options
- After you’ve set up an account within ROVER, apply for a Vehicle Import Approval
- Understand the costs of shipping a vehicle, including:
• Freight and insurance charges when shipping your vehicle
• Wharf, transport, storage and delivery charges after your vehicle arrives
• Duties, taxes and fees, including Australia’s GST (Goods and Services Tax) and LCT (Luxury Car Tax)
• Cleaning charges (for biosecurity, to prevent introduction of invasive species)
• Registration and insurance requirements in the relevant Australian State or Territory
• Other charges such as import processing, customs brokers’, and logistics service provider charges
- Select an international car shipping company and preferred shipping method to transport your vehicle from the UAE to Australia
- Determine your vehicle’s departure and destination ports
- Confirm the vehicle is clean and free of biosecurity concerns
- If you wish to register your vehicle for road use in Australia, you’ll need to get the vehicle plated in an Australian territory
More information on the process of shipping your car to Australia can be found in the Australian government’s guide to car shipping to Australia.
Australia Vehicle Import Approval
Under the Road Vehicle Standards Act of 2018 (RVSA), Australia recently introduced the new ROVER (Road Vehicle Regulator) for vehicle importation. The ROVER system will collect the information necessary for approval of your vehicle import. While our agents can assist you with questions about the application process and provide insights into the likelihood your vehicle is eligible, you will need to fill out the application yourself in order to determine your vehicle’s eligibility for shipment.
To set up your account, you’ll need to navigate to the ROVER portal and create an account. To do so, click “Create an Account” and follow the prompts. You will be required to provide 100 points of identification in order to have your details registered in the ROVER system. Note that you will be asked to a copy of your passport and driver’s license in order to gain the full 100 points they require for the application.
The registration process will take 5 days before your account is approved (note that this is only account setup, not vehicle import approval). Once you have been approved and your account is set up, you can proceed with your vehicle import application using the steps below.
- Once you have access to your account, you can begin your application at the ROVER portal. Click on “Sign In” and enter your e-mail address and password.
- Click “New Application.”
- Click “Single Road Vehicle.”
- Scroll down the page and click the Privacy Declaration.
- On the next page, click “application is for myself.”
- On the question, “Has the vehicle been entered on the RAV or filled with an identification plate?” answer “No.”
- Scroll through the application questions and answer them.
- At the end of the application, you will be asked to pay an application fee of $42.00 via credit card.
Please note you will be asked to upload the following information into the application form:
- Photograph of each side of the vehicle
- VIN plate on the vehicle
- Engine bay of the vehicle
- Interior of the vehicle
- Bill of sale
Your application will take approximately 30 business days to process; you should not proceed with the export of a vehicle to Australia until your application has been approved.
When your vehicle arrives at its final destination, you will have to obtain quarantine clearance from the Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry. You will need to produce identification, proof of ownership, valid insurance and proof that all safety standards have been complied with
Things To Consider
- You will need to ensure that your car meets all Australian regulations, particularly the regulations pertaining to emission levels and safety standards.
- Note that air conditioning that emits CFC gases is banned in Australia, so do some research on your car’s air conditioning unit before attempting to ship it.
- At present, due to quarantine issues arising from a stink bug infestation, all vehicles shipped from the USA to Australia and New Zealand must be fumigated. Please speak with a sales representative for further information.
Car Shipping to Australia Costs & Time Frame
Using a baseline of a compact car being shipped using the roll-on/roll-off method from the Port of Jebel Ali to the Port of Sydney, our estimate for Car Shipping from UAE to Australia starts at a cost of $2,395 USD with an estimated turnaround time of 30 days, depending on whether the origin in the UAE.
However, how much it costs to ship a car to Australia can vary according to factors such as the model and make of your auto, your current location, the nearest departure port in the USA, your shipping method of choice, availability of your chosen services and your final destination. Additionally, you’ll need to consider costs such as storage, cleaning, other vendor fees, and Australian taxes & duties.
Duties are levied by Australian Customs before your auto is delivered; if you are staying in Australia on a tourist or temporary visa and importing a auto, you are permitted to import a car for up to 12 months without having to pay customs duty. However, even if you do not pay customs duty, the GST (Goods and Services Tax) and LCT (Luxury Car Tax) will apply regardless of the length of your stay.
- Duty 0%
- GST 10%
New and used vehicles up to 30 years old
- Duty 10%
- GST 10%
Four wheel drive off road or commercial vehicle
- Duty 5%
- GST 10%
Car Shipping to Australia Options
Car shipping to Australia can be performed using a shared container, a sole container or a roll-on/roll-off service.
Roll-on/roll-off (RoRo) – This option tends to be one of the more affordable ones as you only must pay port charges and customs clearance charges in addition to the shipping charge. Your auto will be loaded into the holding area of a large vessel, one which resembles a big parking garage. This method is suitable for shipping and handling bulkier vehicles like work trucks, which are quite commonplace due to Australia’s large mining industry.
Transits tend to be faster than with the RoRo service as the containers depart on a weekly basis.
Shared container service – Several vehicles are shipped using one single container. The container must be processed, so more fees are involved than with the roll-on/roll-off method, however they are shared between several clients. Fees include customs clearance, trucking charge, terminal handling charge and a charge for unloading the vehicles at a bonded warehouse.
You may be required to wait for a longer period before your auto can be shipped as the container can only depart with a full load thanks to other clients.
Full container load – This method to ship your car is the same as the shared container load, except that one auto occupies the entire container and the fees, which are like those for shared containers, are borne by you alone.
Container shipping offers the benefit of added security. When the auto is received, photographs are taken of the auto itself as well as the loading process, after which the container door is locked and the auto is kept safe. The auto is only released when the container arrives at the destination, and an agent once again takes photographs of the uploading process. The car is kept secure, so clients may transport other items inside the auto, although they are advised to pack with care as we are not liable for any loss or damage sustained.
We choose not to use wood ramps to load cars like other companies but instead employ a steel loading system, which is more effective in preventing loss and damage – ideal for shipping cars that you may want more secure on their journey from the UAE to Australia like muscle cars, classic cars, exotic cars, and more.
Additional Australia Car Shipping Services
Sourcing vehicles – Our long list of car buyers enables us to find and buy vehicles for purchasers located overseas for a commission or additional fee to be paid to the car buyer.
Ports Served in the UAE and Australia
Departure Ports – UAE
The location your car will depart from depends on the method of car shipping to Australia, where your car is located, your budget and which services the nearest port offers. We have multiple departure locations in the UAE, including Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Ras Al Khaimah, and Sharjah more.
Destination Ports – Australia
Here are the Australian entry ports that we can ship your car to.
- Port Kembla
Plating Your Car in Australia
If you intend to operate your vehicle on Australian roads, you’ll need to have the vehicle registered for road use. This is separate from your visa or driver’s license.
This requires you to fill out and submit an Endorsement of Compliance Certificate and register the vehicle in the appropriate State or Territory.
Visit the Australian Government’s resource page for more information about plating your vehicle in Australia.
Other Australia/UAE Shipping Options
- Importing a Car from the UAE to Australia
- Importing a Car from Australia to the UAE
- Car Shipping to Australia from the UAE
- Car Shipping to the UAE from Australia
- Cargo Shipping from the UAE to Australia
- Cargo Shipping from Australia to the UAE
- Moving Household Goods from the UAE to Australia
- Moving Household Goods from Australia to the UAE
his information was updated in April 2022. All information, time frames, pricing, and regulations are subject to change. Please contact a sales representative for the most current rates and information.
Are you Looking For a Car Shipping To Australia
Get a Free Quote in 3o Minutes